Congratulations on your new kitten!
Your kitten’s first visit to Happy Tails Pet Hospital starts your kitten off on “the right paw” and establishes the relationship between you and our health care team. We are excited to meet your new kitten and provide you with the best kitten care, guidance, and information you will need to ensure that your new kitten grows up into a strong, healthy, and happy cat!
- When you pick up your kitten, remember to ask what and when he or she was fed. Replicate that schedule until your first kitten visit with us. We will discuss your kitten’s breed, anticipated lifestyle and nutritional needs with you during your first kitten visit.
Getting Started with your Kitten’s First Wellness Exam
The first step you can take is to visit us so that we can perform a comprehensive “nose-to-tail” physical exam on your kitten. This initial visit has many benefits:
- Extensive physical examination of your new kitten by Dr. Dan.
- Establish a vaccination schedule and optimal plan for parasite testing, prevention and treatment, including heartworm prevention tailored specifically for your cat
- Establish a relationship with you and your new kitten, allowing us to understand your expectations as a pet owner.
- Provide an occasion to answer all of your questions and/or concerns about kitten care, such as breed considerations, environment, food, nutrition, and/or behavioral questions
- Discuss spay or neuter of your kitten. The recommended spay/neuter time for your kitten for non-breeding cats is when he/she is between 4 and 6 months of age.
When visiting with your new kitten for the first time, please bring the following with you:
- Your kitten in a closed carrier.
- Any prior health information that the seller, shelter, or another provided to you, such as information about the breed, history of vaccines, worming, neutering, etc.
- A fresh stool sample