Happy Tails Pet Hospital offers excellent dental care for dogs and cats
Regular, professional dental care is an important aspect in helping your pet stay healthy and live longer. Dental disease represents more than just a cosmetic problem or bad breath. Plaque and tartar that build-up on your pet’s teeth can lead to gingivitis. Untreated gingivitis can progress to a more advanced form of periodontal disease, resulting in significant pain, bone loss, and infection for your pet. Advanced dental disease can lead to tooth loss and irreversible damage to the heart valves, kidneys and other organs.
To maintain consistent oral health and promote preventative dental care, we recommend professional preventative dental care exams and cleanings. Professional dental treatments are performed when your pet is under anesthesia.
During a dental procedure we will:
- Take digital dental x-rays to diagnose periodontal disease or bone loss below the gum line.
- Complete ultrasonic scaling and root planning of your pet’s teeth, which removes plaque and tartar using modern and safe ultrasonic hand instruments and power scaling equipment to clean both above and below your pet’s gum line.
- Polish your pet’s teeth to create a smooth surface that is more resistant to plaque and tartar buildup.
- Utilize comprehensive pain management before, during, and after any oral procedure.
- Extractions for severely infected teeth or fractured teeth.
Good dental care for your pet does not end after he or she leaves our hospital. After your pet’s dental procedure or during your pet’s wellness exam, we provide our clients with education and training for at-home dental care, including how to brush your pet’s teeth, nutritional assessment and recommendations for good oral hygiene. Some recommendations would be; water additives that kill the bacteria which cause plaque build up, prescription food that scrapes tartar off the teeth and treats like Greenies.
We have a brochure on dental care for your pet. Feel free to download and read the brochure at your leisure.